Saving energy is good for our planet and good for our wallet. So how can you become more energy efficient at home?
You can start by monitoring your energy use at home. Did you know that heating and cooling account for nearly half of your home’s energy costs? It’s true. And if you can cut the cost of heating and cooling your home, you’ll make a big difference in your bottom line.
Here are a few things that you can do to help you save energy.
Clean or Replace Your AC Filters Regularly
A dirty or clogged filter will make your air conditioning unit work harder, using more energy. Over time, the stress of clogged filters can result in increased costs for repair or replacement of your HVAC unit.
Clean Your Air Ducts
Dust, mold and other contaminants can build up in your air ducts, making the system work harder (and lowering the air quality in your home). Have your ducts cleaned annually to keep your HVAC unit running in peak condition.
Get a Programmable Thermostat
A programmable or smart thermostat can save you up to 10 percent on heating and cooling costs.
Other Ways to Save Energy at Home
- Change your light bulbs to LED
- Wash your clothes in cold water
- Use your window shades to keep out the sun in summer and to let the sun in during winter months
- Turn off lights, appliances and electronics when not in use
- Don’t leave your computer on all day long
- Seal all cracks and leaks in your home
- Use your microwave instead of your stove
- Don’t place appliances that give off heat near a thermostat
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible in summer and as low as comfortably possible in winter
- Use your ceiling fans
- Turn off heated dry in your dishwasher and use air dry instead
- Set your refrigerator temperature to the manufacturer’s recommendation to avoid wasting energy
- Use your dishwasher and clothes washer/dryer at night to help keep the house cooler
- If your home has single-pane windows, consider replacing them with more energy efficient windows. Also, think about adding solar shades or tinting film.
Call the experts at ASAP Heating an Cooling for more information or to schedule an appointment. ASAP Heating and Cooling provides quality heating and cooling services to homes and businesses in Port Charlotte, Cape Coral, Naples, Southwest Florida and surrounding service areas.